Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Why?

A while back, I met my friend's father, who is a staunch MCA supporter. Upon finding out I was interested in politics, he asked me whether I supported DAP or MCA. I told him that I would support whoever served the rakyat's interests. He gave me an incredulous look, laughed, and said it was utter bullshit.

So this is what it has come to. Our politicians have used the term "For the rakyat" this, "For the rakyat that" to the point it has become a byword for nonsense, and the calling of politics known as craptology. It saddens me when I hear these comments, because it reminds me of the sad state of affairs our Malaysian politics is in. Our politicians, from being called champions of the people, are now in the eyes of people bloodsucking leeches, liars, rapists, cheaters, fraudsters, crooks, thieves and worst still, assassins or C4 bombers. 

People chide me for being saddened. They say I should get used to things, that I should be less idealistic, less optimistic, care less. And I thought to myself sometimes, "It's true. What can we do against such reckless bigotry? Such blatant crime? Better to resign one self to one's fate, and be satisfied with what we have. At least we're not as bad as the Philippines where in Maguindanao they butcher people, or like Iraq where bombers ( not just the mongol-philia type) are aplenty. That's why I should give up.

I tried. But I cannot.

The moment we stop caring, the instant we stop striving to become better, we die. Not outside, but inside. The second we give up, that is when everything is truly lost. Edmund Burke once said that all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. And dammit it's true.That's why we must not give up. 

We as the people of Malaysia cannot give up. We cannot simply migrate and pretend, and forget our country. A fool, an idiot and a bloody deluded man I may be, but a faithful and honest fool I remain. I know I am doing this for the people. People who have suffered much in the prisons under the ISA are certainly doing it for the people. It's simply not worth it for money, fame or power. It's a reason, a calling greater than individual needs or wants, a desire to serve that overcomes the seduction of being served. That is why I am doing this.

Care more. Do more. And be the change you wish to see in the world. Because we should. Because we must. Because we can. Because we are Malaysians. And that, is why.

No comments:

Post a Comment